Subject: Re: CryptoGraphic Disk.
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Roland Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
List: tech-security
Date: 10/05/2002 10:05:49
Hubert Feyrer wrote:

>Indeed, cool thing!
>
>While there, I have heared repeated requests for a compressed filesystem.
>How hard would it be to do a similar thing for compression?
>I guess the problem is that you don't have fixed-sized blocks (after
>compression)?

A compressed file system would really not want to be done at this
level of abstraction.  Probably the best way to do that would be
as a stackable file system (rather than as a stackable device).
It might also be relatively easy to add compression to something
like LFS, since you are always moving the blocks anyway.  In fact,
the last may be the easiest [and most performant] way to do it.

--
    Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/