Subject: Re: openssl license change
To: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-security
Date: 09/24/2002 18:42:44
    Date:        Tue, 24 Sep 2002 11:44:00 +0100
    From:        Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>

  | The OpenBSD guys seem to taking it badly.

You mean the same basic set of people who decided (whether they went through
with it or not I don't know) that they should fork ipf as well, because
they didn't like its licence ??

There's the religious issue here, of refusing to use any patented
algorithms - just to make them less useful, and so perhaps in the
long term convince people that patenting algorithms doesn't work.

If NetBSD wants to make a stand in that direction, that's fine.

But worrying about that particular licence, and slippery slopes, and
such, is just paranoid.  Apart from them abandoning the patent, you're not
going to get anything any better - so if it is desirable to have that
algorithm (and someone related to openssl must have considered it so,
I'm not qualified to comment) then that's as good as it is going to get.

kre