Subject: Re: 1024 bit key considered insecure (sshd)
To: Curt Sampson , Actually davidchr <davespam@microsoft.com>
From: Seth Kurtzberg <seth@cql.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 09/04/2002 22:04:12
In fact, in at least two recent cases, governments have refused to install
Windows XP because of this situation.  I'm told that Microsoft graciously
agreed to sell them Windows 2000 as long as they pay the price of Windows XP.

There really is no question about the technical facts; just turn on a sniffer
while you are installing XP.  What Microsoft does with or intends to do with
it is, of course, another matter.  From the customer's viewpoint Microsoft's
intensions make little difference, because if circumstances dictate Microsoft
can change their policies, and/or the government can impose policy changes.

I'm not saying this is likely to happen (nor am I saying it is unlikely; who
knows?)  It is, however, certainly possible.

--
Seth Kurtzberg