Subject: Re: Long RSA keys
To: Seth Kurtzberg <seth@cql.com>
From: Karsten W. Rohrbach <karsten@rohrbach.de>
List: tech-security
Date: 08/30/2002 12:22:53
--qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk

Seth Kurtzberg(seth@cql.com)@2002.08.29 19:16:35 +0000:
> Everyone is writing as if Perry can't be correct because the nature and=
=20
> complexity of this problem is unknown.  That is simply untrue.  And the=
=20

we shouldn't have an argument here. that's why i f'uped my mail to
simply stop the part of the discussion that leads us nowhere.

> assertion that he is wrong because he has studied the subject extensively=
 is,=20

didn't mean it this way, i don't want to prove anything right or wrong
here. the question applying to a large number of really good folks in
the crypto community would rather be: do they stand on their own
shoestrings, just because of following a rigid pattern of formalisms in
their thinking? don't get me wrong, didn't want to give that a "quality"
of some sort. thought it'd be obvious. i'd be delighted to discuss these
matters off-list, as they seem OT for technical mailing lists.

> well, ...difficult to understand.  The fact is, Perry's assertions are=20
> absolutely of the correct order of magnitude.  While the distant future i=
s=20

thought about it, and you're right. whereas we both tended to the
extreme. "trillions of $$$ vs. timeframe of months" can't really produce
an objective result, neither does it lead to productive discussion.

> perhaps not possible to predict, the near future certainly is, at least f=
or=20
> technology that must be manufactured in quantity.  And there will be ampl=
e=20
> warning when a threat to 1024 bit keys becomes practical.

yup, at least when the threat originates from the whitehats. everything
else, we cannot directly foresee.

regards,
/k

--=20
WebMonster Community Project -- Reliable and quick since 1998 -- All on BSD
http://www.webmonster.de/ - ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ - http://www.rohrbach.=
de/
GnuPG:   0xDEC948A6 D/E BF11 83E8 84A1 F996 68B4  A113 B393 6BF4 DEC9 48A6
REVOKED: 0x2964BF46 D/E 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 BF46
REVOKED: 0x4C44DA59 RSA F9 A0 DF 91 74 07 6A 1C  5F 0B E0 6B 4D CD 8C 44
My mail is GnuPG signed - Unsigned ones might be bogus - http://www.gnupg.o=
rg/
Please do not remove my address from To: and Cc: fields in mailing lists. 1=
0x

--qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk

--qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk--