Subject: Re: Long RSA keys
To: Karsten W. Rohrbach <karsten@rohrbach.de>
From: Chris Humphries <chumphries@drauku.net>
List: tech-security
Date: 08/29/2002 20:29:31
this whole thread is really stupid. no matter how long you think
or anyone thinks it will take to crack some key, you still have to
consider that idea of that it will have to be worth their time.
you're as safe as people dont care about your box. even if you had
a 128 bit key, think someone is actually going to spend time to
crack your key so they can see your pr0n on your sparc 5? please...

it will have to be worth the time to the attacker to expend the
effort on doing anything to you. who in their right mind would have
very valuable data, enough to be concerned about, on a box where you
are complaining about it taking too long to generate a key?? It
seems best to have your most valuable data on boxes that would be
best suited for strong crypto, or at least enough to thwart people
that try. if you truely have data that you feel needs protected and
you dont think your current hardware and resources can provide what you
need, wouldnt it just be a must that you would have to aquire them?

i think leaving the way it is for now is fine, and if you feel that
someone feels that they will try to crack your default key, then bump
it up. the fact is that most the world doesnt care about your computer
and will never try to crack anything of yours, except for kiddies here
and there looking for a bounce point, and i dont think they will even
try (there are just too many boxes out there that are easier).

remember, that it has to be worth it to the attacker. now you just
need to ask yourself, "is my data valuable enough to warrant someone
attacking me and trying to spend alot of money, effort, and time into
getting it?". most likely no, but will it hurt bumping up your key size?
most likely no as well.

-chris

ps -> can someone talk about trust issues next while we are at it? heh