Subject: Re: 1024 bit key considered insecure (sshd)
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Petr Swedock <petr@blade-runner.mit.edu>
List: tech-security
Date: 08/29/2002 10:10:28
"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:

> "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de> writes:
>
> I would have thought spending at least hundreds of millions off
> dollars and (as importantly) at least months of time would have been
> considered "unattractive" enough to encourage other methods of getting
> at your data like breaking in to your physical location. Silly me. I
> guess I missed the concept behind crypto.

The concept behind crypto is to confuse, scramble and obfuscate. When
it was first designed for and employed in computers the existing
mathematical models, computer muscle and modes of analysis were
thought to assure unbreakability.  Now the use has morphed into
a race condition where present mathematical models and future
computer muscle, coupled with existing modes of analysis are
thought to assure breakability.

Peace,

Petr