Subject: Re: OpenSSH installation from package source
To: Ing.,BcA. Ivan Dolezal <ivan.dolezal@vsb.cz>
From: grant beattie <grant@netbsd.org>
List: tech-security
Date: 07/01/2002 23:32:45
On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 01:36:07PM +0200, Ing.,BcA. Ivan Dolezal wrote:

> I was running OpenSSH since 1.5.2 installation. This was running from
> /usr/sbin/sshd , which is OpenSSH_2.5.1
>
> After reinstalling the package I found out that the new version
> installed itself into /usr/pkg/sbin/sshd, not replacing the one in
> /usr/sbin/sshd. It didn't change the /etc/rc.d/sshd. It didn't adopt the
> old configuration file and keys. In other words: it was just a dead
> installation.
>
> Unfortunately, it didn't even bother to give any warning that simple
> restarting with the /etc/rc.d/sshd definitely is not a sufficient action
> and that very explicit manual changes are required in order to switch to
> the new version.

hi Ivan,

There were a few changes made to the security/openssh package a few
days ago to warn if old configuration files are found. You should see
a message to this effect:

<-- snip
WARNING: previous configuration file $path found.

The config files for ${PKGNAME} must be located in:

        @PKG_SYSCONFDIR@

You will need to ensure your configuration files and/or keys are
placed in the correct directory before using ${PKGNAME}.
-->

You may not have seen this if your pkgsrc has not been updated
recently.

grant.