Subject: Re: OpenSSH Priv Sep and Remote Exploit?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: tech-security
Date: 06/26/2002 18:35:32
--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 09:25:34AM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Can anyone quickly explain the challenge response based methods?
>=20
> I use conventional password authentication or PubkeyAuthentication, so I
> wonder if this ChallengeResponseAuthentication is even needed.

e.g. S/Key and BSD_AUTH, so unless you use one of them (NetBSD doesn't
support BSD_AUTH afaik), you can safely disable it.  Challenge method
means that you need to answer something back to a given question, e.g.
type OTP in S/Key negotiation.

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>   ASCII Ribbon campaign against  /"\=