Subject: Re: rfc2228 in ftpd
To: Aidan Cully <aidan@kublai.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 06/23/2002 23:00:57
Aidan Cully <aidan@kublai.com> writes:
> On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 07:02:15PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> > I'm not sure I was even aware of that RFC before now. Are we sure the
> > IETF still considers it to be a standards track document?
>
> Can you un-RFC something except by superseding it?

Just because something is an RFC doesn't mean it is a standard or
going to be one. Anything can be published as an RFC. See rfc1796,
"Not All RFCs Are Standards". Quoting from that document:

   It is a regrettably well spread misconception that publication as an
   RFC provides some level of recognition.  It does not, or at least not
   any more than the publication in a regular journal.

Perry