Subject: Re: DNS question, a bit off topic.
To: joe bsd <joebsd1@yahoo.com>
From: James Ponder <james@squish.net>
List: tech-security
Date: 05/02/2002 23:07:26
On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 12:24:29PM -0700, joe bsd wrote:
> I recently made changes to my dns recordsat joker.com.
> ns1.awesomeopossum.com  should now resolve to 12.234.130.218.

If you run your ns1.awesomeopossum.com through my dns traversal utility at
http://www.squish.net/dnscheck/ you will see that the only possible answer
from the root down is your old address.  All gtld servers know the answer:
12.234.138.62.  The dns servers at joker are not consulted.

The reason for this is because you have, or joker have on your behalf,
registered ns1.awesomeopossum.com as a host entry at the Internic registry,
and this means all gtld servers know the answer without referring.

I don't know anything about joker, maybe they have automatic systems for
modification of host records and it's just being slow, or maybe you are
supposed to contact them directly.

Best wishes, James
--
James Ponder; www.squish.net; London, UK