Subject: Re: DNS question, a bit off topic.
To: joe bsd <joebsd1@yahoo.com>
From: Roland Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
List: tech-security
Date: 05/02/2002 16:30:35
joe bsd wrote:

>Sometimes it does and sometimes it resolves to the old address:
> 12.234.138.62.
>This happens if I use my isp's dns server to resolve these addresses.
>ns5.attbi.com.

You're probably running into things being cached by those nameservers.
It'll `just go away' in a while.  Check out more in depth documentation
on DNS for information on how to manipulate how long other name
servers are allowed to cache information.

The reason that different name servers return different results is
that they probably cached the domain at different times and hence
their cache entries expire at different times.

>If I use b.ns.joker.com to resolve the address it get's the
>correct address all the time.  But using a.ns.joker.com, it get this:
>
>root@ns1 /etc/namedb # nslookup ns1.awesomeopossum.com a.ns.joker.com
>*** Can't find server name for address 194.176.0.2: Timed out
>*** Default servers are not available

This just means that a.ns.joker.com does not have a PTR entry
anywhere.  You may or may not be able to solve this one since you
may not control the reverse lookups.  nslookup(8) requires that
the nameserver has proper reverse resolution and fails in the above
way if it does not.  If you can't solve the reverse resolution
issue, then you can use dnsquery(1).

 == Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/  ==
 == The Unofficial NetBSD Web Pages        http://www.Imrryr.ORG/NetBSD/  ==
 == The NetBSD Project                            http://www.NetBSD.ORG/  ==