Subject: Re: more Sudo..
To: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
From: Curt D McIntosh <cmcintos@csc.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 04/27/2002 12:33:58
Let me restate the scenario:

I have a Ultra 60 with and Internal CDROM and an external cd burner.
During installation of the software for the burner, it told me that it had
disabled the automount feature and that you must manually mount the SOURCE
cdrom before you burn to the target cd burner.

What I need to do is allow all users on the system (about 20) to mount the
source CDROM without giving everyone root access.

Curt McIntosh/CSC

                    Olaf Seibert
                    <rhialto             To:     Curt D McIntosh/CIV/CSC@CSC
                    @polderland.n        cc:     tech-security@netbsd.org
                    l>                   Subject:     Re: more Sudo..

                    04/27/2002
                    05:22 AM

On Fri 26 Apr 2002 at 19:17:01 -0400, Curt D McIntosh wrote:
> How do I allow any user to walk up, login, mount the cdrom and burn a
disc
> without being root to run the mount command.  You guys appear to be

I would not actually mount the cd before burning it. In fact, if you put
in a blank cd, you cannot mount it :)

On the other hand, once or twice I forgot to unmount a cd before I
erased and rewrote it. NetBSD got very confused by it, and had to be
rebooted to get back to normal. (At least, that's what I think I did to
confuse it). My symptoms were that the /cdrom directory had changed into
a really big file, several magnitures bigger than the cd was even. And
since mount thought the disk was still mounted, it could not be
unmounted or even ejected in this state.

> trashing sudo so I'm looking for alternatives.  I can't always be here
when
> they need to burn a disc so it would be nice to solve this dilemma.

I use sudo too. But indeed with only trusted users.

> Mc
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder    -- Ah only did well at