Subject: Re: dhcpd(8) _cannot_ be completely disabled on an interface
To: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-security
Date: 01/18/2002 11:18:59
>>} perhaps one can do such a thing using a "raw" routing socket, but i
>>} wouldn't expect it.
>>
>>     Why not?  Assuming a "raw" routing lets you specify the interface,
>>you should be able to set proxyarp.
>
>You can. I've hand walked through arp's code before with the debugger to
>change interface numbers around and got it to publish addresses for a given
>interface. (basically at the time I was too lazy to write code to do it as I
>was just trying to prove a point that it could be done).

yah, i found that part and tweaked arp(8) (and the man page) to allow
me to enter proxy arp addresses on arbitrary interfaces.  the
"permanent publish (export only)" aspect of it is the useful bit.

	# arp
	usage: arp [-n] hostname
	usage: arp [-n] -a
	usage: arp -d [-a|hostname] [proxy]
	usage: arp -s [-i interface] hostname ether_addr [temp] [pub] [proxy]
	usage: arp -f filename

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|