Subject: Re: Scripting snort startup as Daemon & writing to a syslog....
To: Eric Potter <eric@centralnexxus.com>
From: Mipam <mipam@ibb.net>
List: tech-security
Date: 12/10/2001 13:40:43
On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 12:47:41PM -0800, Eric Potter wrote:
> Sorry for this,
>
> Complete newbie so plz be patient...
>
> Now that I have snort writing to a logfile and an alert on 1.5.2 I was hoping someone could assist me in putting the bells and whistles together,
>
> I don't think I understand the README steps to write it to my syslog server
>
> AND
>
> I am so new to bsd, I am not sure how to get this sucker to run as a background process.

The answers allrdy have been given, though,
you could also try the -D option when running snort:

-D     Run  Snort  in  daemon  mode.   Alerts  are sent to
       /var/log/snort/alert unless otherwise specified.

Btw, when looking for signatures you could look on:

http://www.whitehats.com/ids/

Or to download an icmp rule base from Ofir Arkin:

http://www.sys-security.com/archive/snort/icmp_rules/ICMP_basic_plus

Or look here for another rules files from snort.org itself:

http://www.snort.org/downloads.html

And look here:

http://www.snort.org/documentation.html

For the needed documentation.
Plz note that there is also a snort mailing list to ask questions.
Bye,

Mipam.