Subject: Re: sshd Change: PermitRootLogin = no
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-security
Date: 09/06/2001 16:09:22
On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> We are not trying to administer single machines today.

Uh..."woah!" Some of us are. Some of us aren't.

> I need to be able to
> say "here's a new binary package (or pointer to a package); install it
> on the following 300 machines".

You need that. I don't, at least not for any sites where I set the
security policy.

There are sites where I do some administrative work where this sort of
thing is required, and in fact what we do is set "PermitRootLogin" to
"yes", which makes sense to me.

Or has this thread changed from a discussion of what NetBSD should ship
with as a default to what individual admins should set (or be compelled
to set) at their sites?

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 3 5778 0123   http://www.netbsd.org