Subject: Re: the daily/weekly/monthly scripts
To: Sam Carleton <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-security
Date: 07/24/2001 14:21:49
[ On Tuesday, July 24, 2001 at 08:38:59 (-0700), Jeremy C. Reed wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: the daily/weekly/monthly scripts
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Sam Carleton wrote:
> > If so, how do YOU recommend I set the $MAILTO in the crontab file?
> NetBSD's crontab(5) has a lot of info about this. It may be different on
> other operating systems that use different implementations of
> cron. (NetBSD uses Vixie's Cron.)

Even better: don't save mail for root in a system mailbox -- forward it
to a real human user via an alias in /etc/aliases (er, /etc/mail/aliases).

Since this is tech-security it's probably appropriate to point out that
you should never ever read any e-mail with any mail reader running as root.

							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <>     <>
Planix, Inc. <>;   Secrets of the Weird <>