Subject: Re: got locked out...
To: Andrew Ambrose <aambrose@ennovatenetworks.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-security
Date: 05/04/2001 11:05:59
On Fri, 4 May 2001, Andrew Ambrose wrote:

> I am locked out of the NetBSD box. I booted in single user mode and mounted
> /usr/sbin
>
> when I run vipw it says the file is busy.
>
> do you know how I can reset the root password.. or why this file is busy..

Check to see if you have a /etc/ptmp file. If you do, then it is locked.
Since you are in single user mode, then it probably a stale lock -- maybe
delete it. (/etc/ptmp should be a copy of your /etc/master.passwd.)

> also how do I set the editor on the netbsd.

If you use bash:
export EDITOR=your-favorite-working-editor-here

I hope this helps.

(I believe tech-security is the wrong forum for these questions.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/