To: None <Tim.Newsham@guardent.com>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 03/13/2001 17:46:01
In message <397E0659AA2DD411843500508B64F1CE1E0723@mail.guardent.com>, Tim.News
ham@guardent.com writes:

>The parameter used for RFC1948 need not be randomly generated
>at boot time.  I was actually wondering if this violates the intent.
>Shouldnt
>ISN values exist in the same space across reboots?

In all seriousness, that depends on now long a reboot takes.  For
correctness in the TCP sense, if a reboot takes longer than twice the
maximum segment lifetime the ISN value for a connection can be
different.  When I implemented RFC 1948, I initialized the secret by a
hash of a per-machine secret and whatever random values were lying
around shortly after boot time -- the reboot time was easily long
enough.