To: None <tech-security@netbsd.org>
From: None <Tim.Newsham@guardent.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 03/13/2001 17:39:30
-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Newsham
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2001 5:34 PM
To: kml@gecko.nas.nasa.gov

Hi,  I'm not on the mailing list, I received a copy of this indirectly.

NetBSD is not vulnerable to attacks I outlined, as far as my analysis
of your stack was able to tell (from -current sources)

The parameter used for RFC1948 need not be randomly generated
at boot time.  I was actually wondering if this violates the intent.
Shouldnt
ISN values exist in the same space across reboots?  I'm not sure.
Anyway, the TCP secret could be generated once and stored in the
filesystem.  If they are generated at boot time, it could be done using
entropy stored in the filesystem from previous boots.  To accomplish
this, the TCP secret would have to be set from userland, requiring an
ioctl or something similar.  Previous entropy could be read from
data stored during the previous incarnation, and mixed with whatever
entropy can be gathered from the newly running system and passed
into the kernel early during the system startup (prior to bringing up
any interfaces).