Subject: Re: proposals for running named in a non-root chroot cage
To: None <tech-security@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 03/08/2001 16:46:47
[ On Friday, March 9, 2001 at 04:30:04 (+1100), Luke Mewburn wrote: ]
> Subject: proposals for running named in a non-root chroot cage
>
> I've been investigating methods of changing the default startup
> mechanism for named(8) to run as a non-root user inside a chroot
> cage.

I'd be happy if the default named startup mechanism simply always forced
named to run as a non-root user.  Chroot is good for the super-paranoid,
but no named should ever (have to) run as root.

But if the default named startup mechanism is to support chroot then I
would definitely prefer option #2.  :-)

--
							Greg A. Woods