Subject: Re: building the 20001220-krb patch
To: Derrell Piper <ddp@electric-loft.org>
From: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
List: tech-security
Date: 12/26/2000 10:40:23
| I'm new to NetBSD (from FreeBSD).

Happy Boxing Day.

| I'm trying to get the 20001220-krb patch installed on my virginal
| 1.5 system.  I successfully applied the patch under the /usr/src
| heirarchy and then went into crypto/dist/krb4 to rebuild K4.

dist/ subdirectories are intended to be used to build software;
they are the software hierarchy "as distributed". When the advisory
says:

/ Systems running 1.5 should apply the patch found in
/     ftp://ftp.NetBSD.ORG/pub/NetBSD/misc/security/patches/20001220-krb
/ and then rebuild and reinstall both the "libkrb" library and telnetd.

that means you should cd to /usr/src/lib/libkrb and /usr/src/libexec/telnetd
to do the 'make' and 'make install'.

Our advisories could certainly be clearer on this topic.

--jhawk