Subject: Re: ssh - are you nuts?!?
To: None <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: None <opentrax@email.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 12/20/2000 05:17:15
On 18 Dec, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 12:13:20PM +0100, Mipam wrote:
>
>  > This is pop over ssh and so tcp over tcp.
>
> No, "pop over ssh" is not "tcp over tcp".  The tunnel contains the pop
> protocol data, not the TCP protocol data.  And the SSH connection itself
> has a protocol of its own.  It's more like "pop over ssh over tcp".

I've been puzzled on this point by the specs.
SSH is essentially layered on top TCP with encryption.
For all practical purposes, SSH is like SMTP, HTTP or
any other open text protocol - until it completes it's
authentication. Once authentication is complete, it seems
then that encryption is added (with MAC) and data flows.
The final product is more of a wrapper on the data,
then anything else. Could this be a correct description?

					Jessem.