Subject: Re: strange but true.
To: Tony Hernadez <tony@cne-inc.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 09/05/2000 12:01:10
  by mail.netbsd.org with SMTP; 5 Sep 2000 16:01:12 -0000
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 12:01:10 -0400
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
To: Tony Hernadez <tony@cne-inc.com>
Cc: "'tech-security@netbsd.org'" <tech-security@netbsd.org>

> funny... no, But I just changed that to my email address. The only services
> that are running are ftp, telnet and httpd. maybe the hackers name was tony
> as well ?  I dont know.. strange. coincidence ?

Are you running anonymous ftp?  If so, are any files that are visible
to the anonymous ftp user owned by 'tony' and visible in the directory
listings?  Have you ever posted any mail or news or is it otherwise
known that you're the administrator of the machine.  Most people use
the same login name whenever they can.

-allen