Subject: Re: Status of i810 agp X support?
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-security
Date: 08/12/2000 18:32:39
  by mail.netbsd.org with SMTP; 13 Aug 2000 01:33:44 -0000
	by champagne.dsg.stanford.edu (8.9.3/8.9.1) with ESMTP id SAA18400;
	Sat, 12 Aug 2000 18:32:39 -0700
To: tls@rek.tjls.com
cc: port-i386@netbsd.org, tech-security@netbsd.org
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 18:32:39 -0700
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>

I was planning to leave it as a module: if you dont load the module,
you get securelevel guaranteess.  I dont see what else to do.
Jason reecommended another approach in private email: have an agpgart
at pci attachment, and put the AGP goo in the attachment.

I have an i810, but havent got X set up yet. If i've the email from
January correctly, we need some .h files and #define's in the XFree86
svga server to make wit work with AGP.

if thats true I'd really like to see the relvant headers in our 1.5
tree, and to ship an xfree compiled to use an LKM, if one is installed
(and to behave gracefully if it isn't).

Does that strategy (LKM to do the dirty-wrok meet the security issues?
I think I can get that done in a 1.5_ALPHA2 timeframe: I _cannot_ do
the separate attachment or test non-i810p hardware.  (I'm moving house
and leaving the USA for a month on Friday).