Subject: Password migration from Secure Ultrix to NetBSD
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, tech-security@netbsd.org>
From: John C. Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
List: tech-security
Date: 07/31/1999 21:52:34
Dear NetBSDers,

   We are in the process of migrating mail users from an Ulitrx machine
running in secure mode to a NetBSD machine.  When Ultrix is running
in secure mode it's passwords are stored in an "auth" database and it
apparently uses a crypt16 library routine to allow up to 16 character
passwords.  If you take the encrypted password on the Ultrix system and
us it in NetBSD password file it does not work - presumably because the
crypt routines are different.

   We will probably give users a unique default password if there is no
way to migrate their passwords.

   Any suggestions on migrating passwords from Ultrix secure to NetBSD
would be appreciated.

johnh...