Subject: Re: OpenSSL import
To: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 06/28/1999 20:50:40
"Michael C. Richardson" <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca> writes:
>   There will be at least five libraries built from by reachover's
> from this:
> 	libdes.a
> 	libcrypto.a
> 	libasn1.a
> 	librsa.a		(not built for "NO_RSA=true")
> 	libidea.a		(not built for "NO_IDEA=true")

RSA is conceivably reasonable to build for non-US users, though a long
argument could be made on the topic. IDEA is not reasonable to build
for anyone, within or outside the US. It is patented, and commercial
use is restricted. There is no NetBSD distribution in which our
license policies would be met by the IDEA patents. IDEA must not be
compiled or shipped -- this is not something we can reasonably make an
option.

Perry