Subject: Re: Background on cryptosrc-intl proposal
To: None <firstname.lastname@example.org>
From: Michael C. Richardson <email@example.com>
Date: 06/23/1999 12:39:28
>>>>> "Thor" == Thor Lancelot Simon <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
Thor> Please keep in mind that it's not really acceptable to import
Thor> anything which would cause the system, when built as a binary
Thor> distribution and shipped by an arbitrary vendor, to violate
Thor> intellectual property laws. For example, RSA may be out of the
Thor> question until the patent expires, and IDEA certainly is.
1) The RSA patent was thrown out of court in the UK, and has never been
tested as a result in any other European court.
2) DSS/DH exists as an alternative.
3) the RSA patent expires next year
4) openssl can be built with RSAREF
5) the crypto modules will have lots of import restrictions in lots of places
(no longer France, but Singapour and China for instance)
:!mcr!: | Cow#1: Are you worried about getting Mad Cow Disease?
Michael Richardson | Cow#2: No. I'm a duck.
Home: email@example.com. PGP key available.