Subject: Re: ssh buffer overflow / package?
To: None <tech-security@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: tech-security
Date: 11/03/1998 12:06:32
On Mon, 2 Nov 1998 13:44:03 -0500  Mason Loring Bliss wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> I'm not familiar with the ssh 2.x copying restrictions, but there's a fix
> for the recent potential buffer overflow bugs in ssh 1.2.26 that involves
> using source from 2.x.
>
> I was wondering if someone who has the ability and inclination to make the
> changes to the ssh package could do so...? I'd happily test and submit the
> changes, but I expect my PR would gather lots of dust, which wouldn't be of
> much use to anyone.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Here's an informative URL:
>
> http://news.freshmeat.net/readmore?f=ssh-vulnerability

For more info, look at:

http://www.ers.ibm.com/tech-info/advisories/sva/1998/index.html

Here's the important bit:

S-SVA-E01-1998:005.1
	Buffer overflow condition in "sshd" logging facility.
	This advisory was CANCELLED on Nov. 1, 1998 without ever having
	been issued. The potential buffer overflow condition described
	in the advisory was determined to have been caused by outside
	factors, and does not appear to be an exploitable condition in
	"sshd."
	Unfortunately, a draft copy of this advisory was included in
	Rootshell Bulletin #25 on Nov. 1, 1998. The contents of this
	advisory should be DISREGARDED.

Simon.