Subject: Re: your mail
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Yong S. Yi <ysyi@async.org>
List: tech-security
Date: 10/17/1998 02:30:03
On Sat, 17 Oct 1998, Simon Burge wrote:
>It doesn't seem that the X servers that come with NetBSD have the
>"-config" option.  Even trying other command-line options (-co, -sp)
>that take filenames give errors like:
>
>	Couldn't open RGB_DB '/etc/master.passwd'
>
>This was tried on a pmax, a shark and an i386.
>
>Simon.

This was an old problem with the XFree86 (and other?) servers, few months
ago. Since, the problem has been fixed in the XFree86 source, as well as
other solutions (using a wrapper, etc). You won't be able to reproduce
that with the newer XFree86 servers shipping. If you *really* wanted to,
though, you could grab a copy of the older versions (I'm sure
ftp.xfree86.org has an archive of older versions). I really have no idea
why this is coming back up again, but someone was probably unaware that
this was an old, fixed, and discussed bug.

>--
>On Sat, 17 Oct 1998 16:16:33 +1000  Darren Reed wrote:
[crap]