Subject: Re: Security Changes to NetBSD.
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
From: Robert Smith <rmsmith@csc.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 11/16/1997 09:59:20

> >Thoughts ?
>
> Sounds good.
>
> If it can be done in such a way that there is minimal
> performance hit for the "I really don't care about security" option
> I can't see that anyone would be against it.
>
> As for the "gee I'd like to be able to provide a really controlled environment
> for untrusted users" crowd (eg. most corporates with vendor support folk
> logging into their systems.)  It would be very nice.
>
> --sjg

This is an excellent model to pursue.  One of the arguements that will
probably come up is:
what is the performance impact of this security STUFF?
Providing an option (meaning a suite of security capabilities) that is
tailorable should be able to allow the data owners/system managers/owners
to balance the level of protection against the level of performance.

(just a personal view: if the performance of machines continues to
increase at the current rate, a full up, truly tight system should
be able to provide many times the performance of previously developed
C2, B1/B2/B3, and A1 systems.)
Great idea!
bob