Subject: Making Security Fixes more publicly available.
To: None <tech-security@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: tech-security
Date: 08/16/1997 15:57:44
Hi,

At work, I run a NetBSD that must be as stable and secure as possible.
Unfortunantly, those two requirements conflict for trying to decide what
version to run.  NetBSD-current is probably the most secure (most up to
date fixes), but NetBSD-release is most stable.  We're currently running
1.2.1, and I run -current at home.  I try to watch the netbsd-bugs list
(and other lists like bugtraq) for anything security related, and apply
the appropriate patch.  However, I think many things slip through.

Today I did a search of source-changes for "overflow" and "overrun", and
found a number of fixes for ftp and ftpd.  If we want NetBSD to be more
usable in a professional environment, I think we need to pay more
attention to security related bugs.  Ideally, when anything security
related was fixed in -current, a patch could be made available for the
most current release, and a message posted to one of the lists (maybe even
-announce, or maybe a new list).  The /pub/NetBSD/misc/security directory
on the ftp site has one patch file.  The biggest problem with this is that
it makes our vulnerabilites easily available to the wrong people.
However, I would much rather make the information available to everyone
than to no-one.

Realisticly, I would be happy with a flag in source-changes that I could
search for that indicates it's security related, and some way to get the
changes (either public CVS access, or just an attached diff).

What do you think?
			Rick

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                System Admin, Tech Support
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/