Subject: Re: solving various bug reports...
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
From: Stephen Ma <Stephen.Ma@jtec.com.au>
List: tech-security
Date: 06/27/1997 03:03:06

>> 6. inetd runs before securelevel is raised

>> let's not reinvent the wheel here...after al, what's wrong with
>> just moving inetd to the very end of rc, right before it prints the
>> date?

Darren> you still have a race condition.

Darren> securelevel doesn't change until after init is done with rc.

Hmmm... How about having rc raise the securelevel (can't we do this
already with sysctl(1)?) before running programs that need securelevel
raised for whatever reason. After rc exits, init can check to see if
the securelevel is still at 0, and if so, raises it to 1 (in fact, it
appears to do this already, and the manpage for init(1) suggests that
rc should raise securelevel if you want a securelevel of 2).

- S