Subject: Re: security in the free world
To: None <tech-security@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: tech-security
Date: 03/11/1997 23:26:00
How about Canada?

It is my understanding that the Free Trade agreement makes some
interesting US/Canada relationships.  I know this because Canada is the
ONLY country in the world where you can choose between the International
or American version of PGP.

I believe (because of Free Trade), all encryption/security related stuff
can be exported from the US to Canada, and Canada has no laws preventing
the export to the rest of the world.  Obviously someone will need to check
deeper, but if this is the case - it could solve a lot of problems.  The
speeds from certain Canadian locations to the US are normally great
because Canadian locations often use the same carriers (MCI/Sprint etc..).

I'm sure you could find a number of Canadian sites willing to host NetBSD.
How much is involved?  Our system is a little slow, and flaky, so you
probably wouldn't want to host it here - but I'm willing to alteast
discuss the possibility if you like.

I love this Country <sniff>,
	Rick  :)

 On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Andrew Wheadon wrote:

> > > Frankly, though, I'm sick of the circus. We have a standing offer from
> > > people in Finland to host the NetBSD master source machine there, in
> > > the free part of the world, so that the U.S. users would only import
> > > NetBSD and never export it.
> >
> > This works great for the source distribution, but not necessarily for
> > development (most of the developers are in the US, I think, and
> > trans-atlantic speeds are not always fabulous) or binary distributions
> > (unless the folks building the binary distributions are all in some
> > free part of the world).
>
> I'm sure you'll find enough developers in the free world to do the
> security development. There is certainly enough capacity to do
> create the binary distributions for the security part for the various
> architectures.
>
> > Alternatively, perhaps some folks from the free unix-like OS world
> > could get together to spearhead an effort with the EFF to break down
> > some of these restrictions.
>
> This would be an entire waste of time since the EFF (presumably EFF
> is the U.S. group which makes decisions on ITAR) has never shown any
> interest in making it easier for average people to use security. The
> less Joe Bloggs uses kerberos the more resources are available for cracking
> Al Capone's encrypted messages.
>
> I think the Finnish offer should be accepted. (It's a major pain
> keeping a separate domestic branch uptodate just because one can't
> use the official branch.) btw. Before somebody tells me that I can
> already get it for xyzBSD. I know but it didn't integrate very nicely.
>
> Cheerio
> 	Andrew
> --
> The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity. (Mark Twain)
> current	release=doc host=netbsd.wifo.uni-mannheim.de \ "NetBSD-current mirror"
> hostbase=/mit/ftp/pub/NetBSD base=/usr prefix=/usr backup delete use-rel-suffix

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                      System Administrator
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/