Subject: SOCKS
To: None <tech-security@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 03/10/1997 11:41:00
I've recently been compiling and installing socks-ified rtelnet,
rftp, rfinger, and rwhois here and there on our socks-firewall-protected
internal network.

What do you think about making bind() and connect() et al just do what
Rbind() and Rconnect() (etc) do?  That is, just build in the socks client
proxy logic with the distribution. This would give sites some very easy
ultra-high security options.  Presumably, sockd would also be included.

The NEC copyright on socks is quite reasonable. Not a GPL, no real
restrictions.

Does anyone want a quick introduction to socks?  The www.socks.nec.com
intro is really bad, full of buzzwords and vagueness. At this moment it
even appears to be completely inaccessible due to a nice router loop
provided by psi.net or maybe nec.