Subject: Re: security in the free world
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
From: Andrew Wheadon <andrew@wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de>
List: tech-security
Date: 03/10/1997 18:05:57
> > Frankly, though, I'm sick of the circus. We have a standing offer from
> > people in Finland to host the NetBSD master source machine there, in
> > the free part of the world, so that the U.S. users would only import
> > NetBSD and never export it.
>
> This works great for the source distribution, but not necessarily for
> development (most of the developers are in the US, I think, and
> trans-atlantic speeds are not always fabulous) or binary distributions
> (unless the folks building the binary distributions are all in some
> free part of the world).

I'm sure you'll find enough developers in the free world to do the
security development. There is certainly enough capacity to do
create the binary distributions for the security part for the various
architectures.

> Alternatively, perhaps some folks from the free unix-like OS world
> could get together to spearhead an effort with the EFF to break down
> some of these restrictions.

This would be an entire waste of time since the EFF (presumably EFF
is the U.S. group which makes decisions on ITAR) has never shown any
interest in making it easier for average people to use security. The
less Joe Bloggs uses kerberos the more resources are available for cracking
Al Capone's encrypted messages.

I think the Finnish offer should be accepted. (It's a major pain
keeping a separate domestic branch uptodate just because one can't
use the official branch.) btw. Before somebody tells me that I can
already get it for xyzBSD. I know but it didn't integrate very nicely.

Cheerio
	Andrew
--
The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity. (Mark Twain)
current	release=doc host=netbsd.wifo.uni-mannheim.de \ "NetBSD-current mirror"