Subject: Re: NFS file handles are guessable.
To: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.east-arlington.ma.us>
List: tech-security
Date: 03/10/1997 11:12:42
> >> Will this be "exportable"?
> >
> >There does not appear to be any text in the current crypto regulations
> >which specifically control the export of random number generators.
>
> Well, as I understand it, anti-virus and (some?) other computer security
> software IS controlled since the changes around christmas. So please
> don't claim this is for security...

Quoting from the regulations:

          c.3. ``Software'' designed or modified to protect against malicious
      computer damage, e.g., viruses;

It is not at all clear what this was intended to mean.

Under a broad interpretation of the regulations, NetBSD (and any other
OS with a real security model) *without* /dev/random would be
export-controlled.

Under a narrow interpretation of the regulations, this would cover
only virus-scanning software.

					- Bill