Subject: Re: NFS file handles are guessable.
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@connect.com.au>
From: Todd C. Miller <Todd.Miller@cs.colorado.edu>
List: tech-security
Date: 03/06/1997 23:09:12
In message <199703070517.QAA11320@coola.off.connect.com.au>
	so spake Luke Mewburn (lukem):

> 	* incorporating fsirand(8) into the source tree, and
> 	  similar functionality into newfs and/or fsck

Adding fsirand functionality was 5 lines of code in mkfs.c,
less if you don't care about adding fs_id.  The real kicker
is what do you do in the kernel when you need a new generation
number?  Currently I just increment the already-random gen
number but that's not so hot.  You really want something that
preserves the randomness but redoing the random number each
time you create a file seems a bit expensive.

 - todd