Re: hg performance

On Tue, Aug 01, 2023 at 08:43:14PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> with everyone apparently keen to move to hg soonish, I would like to
> know what performance improvements we are going to see once the hg
> setup is finalized.
>
> As is, the performance is abysmal und the whole setup unusuable.
>
> I have a gbit connection and speed tests to everywhere look as expected,
> but a simple hg update takes days:
>
> [~/wifi] martin@martins > hg pull -u
> pulling from ssh://hg.netbsd.org//repo/src-draft
> searching for changes
> adding changesets
> adding manifests
> adding file changes
> files [=>                                                 ]   9603/242574 8h12m
>

> I don't even ask why there are 242574 file changes for a simple update from
> maybe two weeks ago to today.

As noted on an internal list - I think there was some funky business
done on the src repository and you're basically cloning from scratch
despite already having a checkout. That use case probably doesn't use
bundles as speed-up.  Just a guess though.

If this is the problem, we won't be seeing that after switching away
from CVS.
 Thomas