Re: weird error updating from https://github.com/NetBSD/pkgsrc.git

I suspect the corrupt binary spewed crud that included the invalid
utf-8 sequence u'\udc8c' on stdout/stderr.  The Python script, which
assumed the world only speaks valid utf-8, hoovered the raw output
into a String and then tried to print it as utf-8.

If you replace the binary with something that spews the above, what happens?

(Yes, it is technically possible to fix this - Python does has
distinct utf-8 and binary types.  However, with everything looking
like a witch^D^D^Dduck tracking this down and fixing it is a pain not
worth enduring).