Re: NetBSD development process, workflow

On Sat, 19 Mar 2016, Marc Balmer wrote:

> > On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 08:35:18AM +0100, Marc Balmer wrote:
> >> - Fix bugs in releases, and propagate bug fixes to the master branch.
> >
> > This is typically done the other way around (but happens in this direction
> > too).
>
> I think the important concept here is, that we can both ways:  From a
> release to the master branch and vice versa.

The workflow my work commonly uses for this:

Bug reported in a release. If the bug is in the master branch, then
create a branch from master and fix there (maybe with tests too). Second
developer checks out that branch and reviews it (and okays it). Merged
to master. As applicable, cherry-pick to release branches which may have
minor changes to apply. (In some cases that is not reviewed.) If a
significant difference is in a release branches, then a new branch
created from that release branch and that reviewed and merged back into
the release.  In addition, we have one special branch that has automatic
merges to it. We get emails about the merges; if a merge has conflicts
then we have to manually fix there.