Re: NetBSD & Fossil

J. Lewis Muir <jlmuir%imca-cat.org@localhost> writes:

> However, it seems like Git and Mercurial are the only realistic options
> right now.

That’s enough for me and justify to move to Git from Fossil for all my stuff
since it seems Fossil is really not “realistic option”.

> Personally, I like Mercurial.  I think the biggest disadvantage
> Mercurial has to Git for being selected as the next NetBSD VCS is its
> dependence on Python.  I think a lot of people like the idea of having
> the tools necessary for accessing the source code repository right in
> the base system.  This is easier to do with Git since it has fewer
> dependencies.  For Mercurial, it seems like some kind of bootstrap
> approach would be needed to get it from pkgsrc, but I'm not sure most
> developers would be OK with that.  (Of course, it could be that the
> decision is made to bootstrap Git from pkgsrc too and not have it in the
> base system, but I think for Mercurial, it's much more likely this would
> have to be the approach.)  Also, Python tends to have a steady stream
> of security vulnerabilities trickling in, so forcing anyone who wants
> access to the source code repository to have Python installed adds an
> additional maintenance headache.

My main problem with Mercurial was the need to enable/setup so many
extensions, although it might be it’s not required any longer.

> There are lots of discussions in the tech-repository archive too

Thank a lot for the links - it was interesting read.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
A person who has given up all desires for sense gratification,
who lives free from desires, who has given up all sense of