Re: Why I'm working on a NetBSD conversion

On Fri, 24 Oct 2014, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
1. Alan Barrett tried to run a full conversion of NetBSD using
cvs-fast-export last December and failed (OOM).  He then engaged me
and we spent significant effort trying to reduce the program's working
set, but could not prevent OOM on either of the machines we were
using.  Because Alan was willing to work on this at some length, I
formed the idea that there was real demand for a full NetBSD
conversion.

My main interest was in experimenting with cvs-fast-export and reposurgeon with a view to providing a possible migration path for NetBSD. I was particularly interested in reposurgeon's ability to edit version references in commit messages, and to make human-guided changes during the conversion process.

I think that there is real interest from many NetBSD people in moving away from CVS, but there has been no decision abourt what to move to.

--apb (Alan Barrett)