Re: Why I'm working on a NetBSD conversion

Hello,

Thus wrote Eric S. Raymond (esr%thyrsus.com@localhost):

> I have since been told that NetBSD actually has a git mirror of its
> CVS repository produced with a two-step conversion: CVS -> Fossil ->
> git.

A lot of work went into cleaning up syntax issues in the NetBSD CVS repo;
due to its age, it contained a lot of traces of historical cvs bugs.
Joerg Sonnenberger did most of the identification work, and may be
willing to comment.

> However, as a technical expert on repository
> conversions and their problems, I urge the NetBSD team to <em>move the
> base repository to something with real changesets as soon as
> possible.</em>

The cvs currently used by NetBSD does changesets; I have no way of
determining if these would be real enough for your tastes.

Also, if one really wanted to make the effort, we do have the commitlogs
back to nearly the beginning of time, so the data could be extracted
if one wanted to do that badly enough. That would also allow retracing
subsequent repo moves.

Regarding stress-testing targets for conversion, we have some files in
the pkgsrc repo which stand out by the number of revisions.

regards,
	spz