Re: Link: Help ESR stamp out CVS and SVN in our lifetime

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 08:47:50AM +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
> On 23/10/2014 00:58, Greg Troxel wrote:>
> > Also, separately from git being the target, esr is working on
> > reposurgeon, which is a general converter, so this would help with going
> > to most other VCSes.  The real issue is getting some conversion code to
> > cope.  I pointed out the NetBSD repo to esr a while ago, and it sounds
> > like it's the largest and most hairy CVS public repo in use, at least as
> > far as esr knows.
>
> What I would like to know is why?
>
> Didn't Joerg already come up with a tool to go from CVS -> Fossil?
> Fossil can then export to git.
>
> He's published the results below
>
> Fossil:
> http://netbsd.sonnenberger.org/timeline
> http://pkgsrc.sonnenberger.org/timeline
>
> Git:
> https://github.com/jsonn/src
> https://github.com/jsonn/pkgsrc

Also mercurial and git repos for pkgsrc, src, xsrc, othersrc and htdocs at:

	https://bitbucket.org/agc/

(I would put the pkgsrc and src git repos up on bitbucket too, but
above a 2 GB repo size, bitbucket makes the repo read-only).  Until
they fix that, it's hg only, I'm afraid.

For those into these kind of things, I'm using the same cvs to fossil
conversion that joerg uses, and then off to mercurial after that.

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-repository/2014/04/02/msg000467.html

is also relevant in this space.

Regards,
Alistair