Re: The essential problems of moving from CVS

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010, Curt Sampson wrote:
> And anyway, I'm not even clear as to what the point (or points) are of
> partial checkouts, as I'm only imagining use cases rather than knowing
> about real ones. Those use cases for subtree checkouts are probably
> the something we should get on to the wiki....

In the NetBSD src tree, people may want to use partial checkouts to
build kernels without needing to checkout the userland parts of the
tree.  In pkgsrc, people may want to use partial checkouts to build only
a few packages.  In both these cases, the partial checkout would have to
include all dependencies of whatever is to be built.  The only point of
this is to save disk space and time.

More often than partial checkouts, I find that I want to switch part
of a tree to a different branch (or a different time in the history of
the same branch).  For example, I might want to try building a modified
netbsd-5 src tree, in which src/tools/compat has been switched to the
version from netbsd-current.  Or I might want to build packages from a
modified pkgsrc-current tree in which a few broken packages have been
switched to older versions.

--apb (Alan Barrett)