Re: The first step away from CVS

Thus wrote David Holland (dholland-tech%NetBSD.org@localhost):

> On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 08:44:58AM +1300, Lloyd Parkes wrote:
> > I've been having a look at Git and Mercurial and I've worked out that the
> > first thing we need to do (regardless of what we do second) is to convert
> > all the CVS commit messages to UTF-8.
>
> This is something that can be done right away, so if anyone feels the
> urge to wade in, go for it.
>
> A good first step would be identifying all the commit messages that
> have non-ASCII text, and then of those dropping the ones that appear
> to already be UTF-8...

5634 files in /cvsroot/src have non-ascii ([^[:print:][:cntrl:]] at
LC_CTYPE=C) characters in them:
ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/spz/src-files-with-8bit.filetypes

running cvs rlog on these into a file and grepping the 8-bit lines from
these, you get a grand total of 545 messages who are not ascii:
ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/spz/src-files-with-8bit.8bitcommitmsg

343 of which are identical and 31 of which are UTF-8, and none who are not
ISO8859-1 or ISO8859-8 otherwise.

If core advises that these should be converted to UTF-8 I can easily do
that one afternoon. Now could we please skip this non-issue and consider
the actual -problems-?

regards,
        spz
--