Re: git copies of cvs modules available

On Mon 19 Oct 2009 at 08:32:40 +1300, Lloyd Parkes wrote:
> It keeps crashing my NetBSD/sparc64 5.0.1 box though. I run git from
> devel/scmgit-base and sooner or later my system hangs or reboots while
> git is running. It's really weird. I get some messages about running out
> of vnodes, but increasing the maximum number of vnodes in the kernel by
> an order of magnitude doesn't seem to help. I don't get crash dumps
> either. Savecore complains about a "(null)" pointer.

Git seems *very* resource-intensive on repositories this size.

For testing, I run it on a machine with 512 MB memory, and with default
resource limits it often runs out of file descriptors and/or memory. It
also wants to compress the repository "for optimal efficiency" every
second blink of an eye (or so it seems). Since this takes rather a lot
of time and is very disk- and memory intensive (and hence fails more
often than not), that doesn't appear to be efficient at all to me.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert    -- You author it, and I'll reader it.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl      -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.