Subject: Re: Boot order
To: None <tech-ports@NetBSD.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: tech-ports
Date: 02/20/2006 07:34:14
In message <20060220133352.GD8924@drowsy.duskware.de>, Martin Husemann writes:
>On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 06:44:48AM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
>> We really need a generic way to say "configure this after that".
>
>If it's not on the same bus, I don't see much that config(1) could do
>in a generic way. Can you "fix" the root bus order in your code?

I don't think so.  Once again, in my code is the ABSOLUTELY WRONG place for
this, because this is SHARED CODE.  This bus, and these devices, are all found
on dozens of boxes, of which ONLY THIS ONE needs the ordering.

But other ones may need DIFFERENT ordering.

The conceptually correct fix is that, if a SPECIFIC CONFIGURATION needs to
attach devices in a given order, that's what should specify the order, and
the code to handle it should be generic.

-s