Subject: Re: Newbie looking to figure out how to do a port!
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-ports
Date: 02/17/2006 13:24:52
On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 12:09:02PM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
> >  2. the IIC seems to bitbanged over a few OPB registers, so cover
> >     them with initial TLB mapping and modify gpiic so that it
> >     provides inippc() with a way to get at the bus. Then, from
> >     initppc() load the MAC address to property database and have
> >     emac(4) pick it up later.

This is probably the approach I'd take if you can't get at the
info from the booter.

> I found something which is either much better, or much worse:
>
> In emac_reset, store the values of EMAC_IAHR and EMAC_IALR, then restore them
> after the reset.

Check to be sure that they're properly set if you're not using the
network to boot.  I.e., if you have the kernel in flash and you're
booting from that.  I've seen loaders that only configure the network
when you run ping or tftp.  I don't recall if RedBoot is one of these
or not.

-allen

--
                  Use NetBSD!  http://www.NetBSD.org/