Subject: Re: Newbie looking to figure out how to do a port!
To: None <tech-ports@NetBSD.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: tech-ports
Date: 02/17/2006 11:35:58
Hmm.  I may be getting to the point where second opinions would be useful,
which is to say, quite a bit over my head.

Apparently, the configuration data I need (MAC address for the (programmable)
ethernet controller) is available over IIC.  In Linux, they have a special
custom minimalist I2C driver JUST for this chip used ONLY to get at the RTC
info.  However, we seem to have a working iic driver... Which leads me to
suspect that it ought to be possible to have the emac driver simply use
that.

Only the emac driver loads first, so even if I knew how to use the iic driver,
it wouldn't be READY yet at the point in the emac driver setup I need it at.

So, assuming I'm not totally barking up the wrong tree:  What's a way to
coerce driver ordering so I can load the iic driver and query it briefly
before the emac driver loads?

As a secondary issue, the sis0 interface is coming up with a MAC address
of all f's, leading me to suspect that I need to look more closely at the PCI
fixup code for this board in the Linux port.

-s